Friday 20 January 2012

Hong Kong Trail

Last week I was fortunate enough to be on a business trip to Hong Kong. With a view to seeing and experiencing more of the sights and culture of Hong Kong, I booked my flights to allow two free days after my work commitments were finished.

Hong Kong is fast paced, efficient and full of life. The whole city shouts boldly that it is a place to prosper: Either side of Victoria Harbour the world’s leading companies seem to compete for their share of the skyline with their modern and iconic buildings, the brand names proudly lighting up the night sky with a wash of neon.

Whilst the buildings and the infrastructure in Hong Kong are incredible, it was the lush green backdrop of the hills that impressed me most. The densely forested and steep sided hills surround the cities, restricting Hong Kong’s expansion so that the only way it can grow is upwards. Taking the tram up to the top of Victoria Peak provides an easy way to climb and experience the omnipotent views of the city, some 500m below. Despite being popular with the tourists, is an immediate and welcome escape from the busy streets.

The peak tram terminal also marks the start of the Hong Kong Trail, a 50km trail run that meanders itself in, around and over the spine of the island’s forested hills. Of course, I thought it would be rude not to run it whilst I was there, and welcomed the chance to squeeze in a long day in the hills! The signed route, split into eight sections, was very easy to follow and offers significant variation in both terrain and views. The large sections of concrete and paved paths were excused by the beauty of the surrounding scenery, and the proximity of the forests they cut trough. The many sections of easily runnable undulating footpaths proved great fun, especially the climb up and over ‘Jardine’s Lookout’ and the last section over ‘The Dragons Back’.

After a few short backtracks to return to the official route (carrying a map is advised!) and stopping for countless photos I made it to Big Wave Bay, the finish, in 5hrs 21mins. It was a great run out in the hills and I am pleased that my first marathon length run of 2012 enabled me to experience a side to Hong Kong that I'm sure few others would see, in a part of the world that I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment