Saturday 21 July 2012

6 weeks to go!!

Today (21st July) marks 6 weeks until the start of the Gore-Tex Transalpine-Run. The main preparation races and events (HighlanderMM, Fellsman, Bob Graham, LAMM and SLMM) are long behind us and the next 6 weeks will be spent tailoring our training to the event and preparing for the start.

Neither myself or Andy have had an ideal lead up to this point with various injuries getting in the way between January and July. However, it appears the winds have changed and both of us are entering this period of refinement in good form (touch wood). Perfect timing?

Having built up a strong base and recovered from the above events, I have three stated goals for the next phase, in priority order:

  1. To reach the start line uninjured and fresh to race
  2. To have an uninterrupted training period (ie. not get injured during the final lead up)
  3. To be on the start line in top condition to race
I've developed a training plan that focuses on number 3. However, I feel it would be careless to not bear in mind numbers 1 and 2 as I progress through. The slightest inkling that fatigue, illness or injuries are creeping in and I'll amend the plan suitably.

The plan builds on the last few weeks and takes me through a cycle of hard and medium training weeks before a two week taper to the race itself. I've planned around a few notable events; including a couple of days that I have off work to see the Olympic athletics and gymnastics events; Marc and Kim's wedding and Andy's planned visit 'dawrn sarrfff' in August.

In preparing the plan I've focused around 5 key points:
  1. To improve my climbing ability (weekly hill sessions)
  2. To maintain leg strength and conditioning for the long down hill sections
  3. To ensure sufficient rest and recovery (a few sports massages and eating/drinking the right stuff)
  4. To teach my body to cope with the demands of running hard day after day after day (robustness)
  5. To teach my body to recover quickly between sessions and learn what works in terms of recovery ready for the race itself
I'm looking forward to following the plan and building up confidence for the race. It's fair to say that I've never tried to follow such a structured plan so am heading somewhat into the unknown. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment