Wednesday 4 July 2012

Saltwell Harriers Fell Race

Being just 20 minutes drive from my house, the Saltwell Harriers fell race provided a welcome opportunity to catch up with fellow Northumberland Fell Runners members and take part in a short, fast paced race for a change.

Starting from the road just north of Stanhope, the 5.5mile loop around the undulating moorland involves a gradual and runable climb through the heather up to Collier Law mast, before turning around to follow a combination of fast trods, the C2C route and an open grassy descent to a river checkpoint. From there the river is followed downstream until the final sting in the tail – a 200m climb up a track to the finish.

As a counter in both the NE and NFR championships there was a good turnout of 120+ runners. With a view to saving my legs for the Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon at the weekend, I had convinced myself that I’d be able to restrain any competitive urges and just stay relaxed and jog round.

Settling into a pace roughly in 20th on the first climb I was finding the pace very steady and began to work through the field. I thoroughly enjoyed the fast running through relativly easy terrain, the squelch underfoot from the recent heavy rainfall made some sections heavy going but that didn’t stop Nick Swinburn setting a new course record.

Punching into the checkpoint in the river was an interesting twist, by this point I had passed Will Horsley and had 10th place in my sights. Still feeling relaxed I continued to pick off the places, digging in on the last climb to finish 5th, helping NFR to pip DFR to the team prize.

My ankle felt great – the nearest it has been to 100% on rough ground although I might regret the fast pace this weekend if my legs are still heavy at the Saunders!

The good company, food and prize giving ceremony in the Moorcock pub afterwards was very enjoyable, the whole field got a mention and a bottle of beer for their efforts. Thanks to Keith Wood and all at Saltwell Harriers for putting on a great evening of racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment