Monday 16 July 2012

Racing Olympians

Over the past week or so, I've had the pleasure of meeting, running with, and racing against two 2012 Olympians. Ser-Od 'Ziggy' Bat-Ochir and  Otgonbayar Luvsanlkhündegiin will be representing Mongolia at the 2012 London Olympic Games and they've been based in Guildford, at the Surrey Sports Park, during their final preparations.


GGAC have been helping them train, both on the roads and the track and taking them to a few local races, where they've had celebrity status. It's not often a Surrey Road League or local mid-week trail race become international races!!

Gibbet Hill 10K - Haslemere - 11 July 2012
I've now done this race 4 times before and it's fair to say that it's a favourite of mine. It's a mid-week trail 10k based around a significant hill just outside Haslemere with a savage road descent over the last mile and a half. The start is gentle enough and all on a decent road but then the trail begins and it's not too long before the climb starts. The climb is long, rough and often soft underfoot.

This year, a heavy amount of rain preceded the race and it didn't hold up for the race itself. Huddled under a tree at the start, the downpour was torrential and the cold set in. The two Mongolians looked less than impressed. We were all itching to start and eventually, at bang on 1930, we were off. Ziggy took the lead and it wasn't long before he pulled out a solid gap on the rest of the field, disappearing into the distance.

I settled into a comfortable rhythm, somewhere around 10th. I'd had top 10 finishes in previous years but having only three days recovery since the Saunders, didn't want to start to fast. Otgonbayar was a good 100yds ahead, but I had a feeling she'd find the later terrain pretty tough.

The roads were covered in run off water and it often felt like we were crossing shallow fords. The trails were no different and as we headed into the woods, it was clear that there was going to be a lot of mud to battle through.

I took the climb at a steady pace and let runners overtake me without response. There was still some weakness from the Saunders and the descent was probably the place where I would make up some time. After a couple of miles I caught Otgonbayar. She was struggling in the deep muddy sections, the racing flats certainly not helping. Ziggy was long gone.

After passing Otgonbayar I got more into the race. Most of the climb was behind us and the race was now on. I was probably still around 10th but found some pace on the undulating top section and started to reign in those ahead of me. A couple of short sharp downhills and tight turns allowed me to break free from those trying to hold my pace.

At the top of the hill, just before the road, I was now on my own, with a reasonable gap to those behind. I didn't know how many were in front but did have a least one runner to chase. The downhill was always going to be fast, but just how fast depended on how much my legs had recovered from the mountain descents from  the weekend.

Not enough recovery was the answer and I couldn't make up any time on the guy in front. It was quite painful but I pushed on and finished in 38.42, over a minute down on my previous best course time. Ziggy had finished over 5 minutes ahead and had stomped to a course record, despite the unfavourable conditions. Otgonbayar came in only 16 seconds behind me to take the women's title, having destroyed the blokes I'd been racing over the top.

Despite the slow time, I finished in 5th, one better than my 6th in 2009 and 2010. With the exception of Ziggy, possibly a weaker field, but the conditions did make it that little bit tougher this year.

Taking the Mongolians to Pizza Express topped off a brilliant evening!!

Elmore 7 - Elmore - 14 July 2012
This classic race, usually part of the Chipstead Flower Show, is organised by South London Harriers and is a regular fixture in the Surrey Road League. Although I've done several Road League events over the past few years, I've never managed to get over to Elmore.

The race, an undulating single loop road course, and the distance, at 7 miles, were both new to me. The Mongolians would again be joining us and with some other top runners, the race would be hard and fast. Fortunately the weather had significantly improved and although there were large puddles on the road, the race would be run in the dry.

On the start line the announcer introduced Ziggy and Otgonbayar. I knew that Ziggy was likely on for another win but more importantly, I knew that I was one up in the head-to-head battle with Otgonbayar. Although, with this being a comparatively flat and road race, I felt that Otgonbayar would probably level the score here. Just how close I could come behind was the main question on my mind.

With Ziggy leading the race, a rapid start ensued. The field strung out and I dropped into about 30th place, some distance behind Otgonbayar. With only a few days between Gibbet Hill and Elmore, I wasn't sure whether the Saunders would be out of my legs and so kept a steady pace again.

As we dropped off the main road onto the quieter and hillier country lanes I found myself in a race together with a lot of South London Harriers (SLH). Some corners and the undulations meant that I had lost sight of Otgonbayar.

The pace felt quick but sustainable and eventually we turned to head back towards the finish. I caught a glimpse of Otgonbayar but the distance seemed unassailable. I wasn't sure how far we'd gone, but avoided looking at my Garmin for fear that there was still a long way to go.

Indeed, there was a LONG way to go. I had to work hard to keep the pace and held off some SLH challengers as the distance to Otgonbayar started to reduce. The SLH gradually dropped off and my goal became catching the slight and nippy Mongolian.

Not knowing quite where the finish was, a well timed sprint was going to be tricky. The yards were still decreasing when all of a sudden the sharp left turn appeared and I knew the finish would be close. As I pushed hard round the corner, the finish line came far too quickly and I missed the opportunity to make it a second win. Otgonbayar had beaten me by 4 seconds. Still, I think that gives me a net Tour-de-France-style victory of 16 seconds!

The Elmore 7 winners
I was surprised to finish 12th and average 5:52 minute miles. Whilst that pace is more half marathon than 7 mile pace, I'm pleased that I've slipped back into shorter races with some pace. Now, all that remains is to focus on building on that pace, whilst keeping my hill strength through to the Transalpine.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed the races with Ziggy and Otgonbayar and wish them all the best for the Olympic marathons in a few weeks time. I'll be there to cheer them on with as much passion as for the Brits. My Mongolian flag is already on order.

No comments:

Post a Comment